Phrasal Verbs Starting with the Letter W
- WALK OUT
- (intransitive) to leave as a sign of protest
The workers walked out to protest the low wages.
- WATER DOWN
- (separable) to make weaker
Don't go to that bar. The bartender waters down all of the drinks.
- WEAR DOWN
- (separable) to cause to be worn or weak
Your constant nagging is wearing me down.
- WEAR OFF
- (separable) to no longer affect someone
Oh no, call the doctor. the drugs are wearing off.
- WIPE OFF
- (separable) to clean a surface by dragging a towel or sponge across it
After dinner, please wipe off the table and wash the dishes.
- WRITE DOWN
- (separable) to record in writing
In that class, you should write down everything that the professor says. It's likely to be on the test.