- To discern (something hidden or subtle): detected a note of sarcasm in the remark.
The thinly cut meat and its inconsequential roll have next to no flavor; the only taste we can detect is that of the Belgian cheese. - Mussel Bar: Wiedmaier's latest is a letdown, bar none
- To make known (something heretofore kept secret).
Failure to disclose is one of the first things they warn you about when you become a senator; it comes right after they give you the key to the Senate elevator. - October 2006
- To control, govern, or rule by superior authority or power: Successful leaders dominate events rather than react to them.
As galling as it is to realize that the BRR and its registered authors and publishers will derive income from millions of books they didn ` t write or publish, it is even more galling that copyright maximalists will almost certain dominate the BRR governing board. - ‘Dead Souls’ of Google settlement
- To come into view; to come out.
Eventually the truth will emerge.
- To try very hard to achieve something.
We hoped that the president would endeavor to help the people.
- To strongly suggest something.
By the way - the numvber two rule is that ever4y poster will post the exact opposite of what their name imply e.g. - msnbc.com: Top msnbc.com headlines
- To stir to action or feeling.
Today, another American legend, Mark Twain, celebrated for the power of his language and his ability to delight and provoke, is also under attack. - Life Upon the Wicked StageFreedom of Artistic Expression
- To take back by reversing; to cancel the validity of something.
The judge said that he would revoke my driver's license if I got another speeding ticket.
- To engage in the buying or selling of a commodity with an element of risk on the chance of profit.
Linking to the same Washington Post story, Crispin Sartwell, at his eyeofthestormblogs. com, writes: "this, we may speculate, is the reason that many prisoners of the u.s. will never be released: nothing they did before, but the secrets they learned in prison, the details of their own torture, present a security risk. we will not only torment you, we will detain/disappear you for having been tormented by us." - Balkinization
- To continue, support or maintain something.
Even as he is in prison on false charges, Max has sustained his belief in the justice system.