- (noun) disagreement or conflict
There was a tremendous amount of discord among the PTA officers.
- (verb) to exclude from a group
As a child, Max was ostracized by the other kids in his school because he wore different clothes.
- (adjective) deep in thought or reflection.
Max must be in a very pensive mood today. He hasn't said anything all day.
- (adjective) tranquil, peaceful, calm
My dog has a very placid temperament. She does not get upset easily.
- (adjective) Most noticeable, important, prominent, or conspicuous
The most salient feature of Mary's appearance is her Purple hair.
- (adjective) understood or implied but not specifically expressed.
When Max and Mary moved in together as roommates, they had a tacit agreement that they would share expenses.
- (noun) passion, or enthusiasm (usually in pursuit of a cause or objective)
Because of her zeal for chocolate, Mary got a job at the chocolate factory as a chocolate taster.