- (verb) to make by combining different ingredients, create or devise
The story that Max concocted as an excuse for not doing his homework was preposterous but entertaining.
- (noun) belief that or acceptance that something is true
I don't give much credence to Max's stories.
- (adjective) to plan or invent
John devised a plan for a sure victory.
- (verb) to detach or separate from something
Many people are pushing for the country to disengage its military from foreign lands.
- (verb) to express sstrong criticism or disapproval of (someone)
Mary rebuked her children for not cleaning their bedrooms.
- (noun) an opinion
I agree with your sentiment regarding global warming.
- (adjective) performed by a single person, group or country (an action or decision)
There is little support globally for a particular country taking unilateral action against another country.
Advanced Vocabulary List 18