- (adjective) insensitive and unfeeling toward others
The teacher was particularly callous in her treatment of the children.
- (verb) to imitate or model yourself after
Children often emulate adults that they look up to.
- (adjective) limited
In a world of finite resources, if some people have more, other people must have less.
- (verb) to praise
The school's principal lauded the teacher for her ability to discipline her class.
- (adjective) active at night
Mountain lions are primarily nocturnal and do almost all of their hunting at night.
- (adjective) harmful or unpleasant
Be careful applying pesticides. Their fumes are often quite noxious to humans.
- (verb) to take back what one has said; to say that one no longer holds a belief or opinion
Max recanted every bad thing he said about Mary.