- (noun) intense suffering and pain
Max cried in agony when he broke his leg.
- (verb) assert or claim wrongdoing by someone (typically without proof)
The teacher alleged that Max cheated on the exam.
- (noun) a picture or description of a person or thing with comically exaggerated characteristics
Max drew a caricature of his teacher.
- (verb) cause to go in different directions
The crowd dispersed as soon as the concert was over.
- (verb) to stir up or encourage (violent or unlawful behavior)
Max incited the other students to rebel against the teacher.
- (verb) to divide or cause to divide into two sharply contrasting groups
The issue polarized the public.
- (verb) to cause to happen suddenly or sooner than expected
Extremely high gas prices precipitated the demise of the SUV.
- (noun) official authorization, approval or ratification of a law
Max received the official sanction of the Federal Darts Association to hold a tournament in the school.