- (adjective) able to be heard, hearable
The child spoke so softly her voice was barely audible.
- (verb) compel by unethical means, force
Max was coerced into making a donation to the Senator's campaign fund.
- (noun) the state of spirit of a person or group
The soldier's morale is extremely low.
- (verb) win; overcome; gain advantage
We may be losing now, but in the end we will prevail.
- (adjective) careful and wise
It would not be very prudent to spend your entire paycheck on lottery tickets.
- (noun) a sharp reply, answer
Jack came back with a witty retort to the reporter's question.
- (noun) someone to blame; someone to take the blame for others
Every office needs a scapegoat. In our office Max is the scapegoat. He's blamed for everything.
- (adjective) calm; composed
The crowd at the funeral was quiet and sedate.
- (noun) An irrational belief which ignores the laws of nature.
Getting seven years of bad luck for breaking a mirror is a common superstition.
- (verb) add to; provide a supplement to
Max got a second job to supplement his income.