- Unfavorable; harmful.
Major Nidal Hasan lectured senior Army physicians about what he called adverse effects if Muslim soldiers are sent to fight other Muslims. - CNN Transcript Nov 10, 2009
- A person who publicly supports something or someone.
The approach you seem to advocate is to simply bracket all questions about the referrents of mentalistic terms, and proceed according to intuitionism. - Are dem bunny prints?
- A predetermined course of events considered as something beyond human power or control: "Marriage and hanging go by destiny” ( Robert Burton).
After Manchester United were beaten by Chelsea in midweek, victory for Arsenal would have put their title destiny in their own hands but without injured trio Robin van Persie, Cesc Fabregas and Theo Walcott they mustered few clear chances despite dominating possession and had to share the points with Sunderland for the second time this season. - The Globe and Mail - Home RSS feed
- To make smaller or less or to cause to appear so.
"Uncharted 2" or "BioShock 2," I'm not going to let that number in the title diminish my enjoyment. - Technology Technology
- One that contributes something, such as money, to a cause or fund.
Throughout this article I have been careful to use the term "donor kidney," meaning one from an anonymous deceased donor, per the protocols of the national organ registry. - The Full Feed from HuffingtonPost.com
- To free from an obligation, a duty, or a liability to which others are subject: exempting the disabled from military service.
In Shiloh, a town of 2,200 people, billboards advertise new homes, and foundations have been laid for about 10 new buildings that remain exempt from the 10-month construction freeze. - Two solitudes
- A doubt in the mind; a mental reservation.
The police officer queried the drivers involved in the accident.
- A customer
Some of the patrons complained to the waiter about the quality of the food.
- The taste or smell of something.
Homer savored every bite of the chocolate donut.
- Employment; occupation; avocation; calling; business; trade
Intrinsic to their vocation is an inevitable rendezvous with non-literary expectations. - The Booker prize is just another flea circus for writers