Definition by Wordnik
- (noun) A heavy-rimmed rotating wheel used to minimize variations in angular velocity and revolutions per minute, as in a machine subject to fluctuation in drive and load.
- (noun) An analogous device, especially one used to regulate the speed of clockwork.
Example by Wordnik
- A CVT-controlled flywheel is particularly suited to stop-start driving situations when real-world fuel economy is often at its worst. - Formula 1 is not going hybrid « Isegoria
- Kinetic Traction Systems Inc. is a provider of so-called flywheel power for rail systems. - Clean-Tech Ventures See Plunge in Funding
- Near the flywheel was the maker badge, a repeat of the design on the glass cover, but here the stars were inlaid with small diamond-cut rubies, and the lightning bolts were coated with alternating layers of gold and silver. - The Safe
- The flywheel, which is 4 m. in diameter, serves at the same time as a driving pulley. - Scientific American Supplement, No. 458, October 11, 1884
- Attached to the flywheel is a pitman rod which raises and lowers a churn dasher. - Agricultural Implements and Machines in the Collection of the National Museum of History and Technology Smithsonian Studies in History and Technology, No. 17