Definition by Wordnik
- (adjective) Of, in, or relating to the nose.
- (adjective) Linguistics Articulated by lowering the soft palate so that air resonates in the nasal cavities and passes out the nose, as in the pronunciation of the consonants (m), (n), and (ng) or the nasalized vowel of French bon.
- (adjective) Characterized by or resembling a resonant sound produced through the nose: a nasal whine.
- (noun) Linguistics A nasal consonant.
- (noun) A nasal part or bone, forming part of the bridge of the nose.
- (noun) The nosepiece of a helmet.
Example by Wordnik
- I won't even think of the implication of the word nasal…. - Wake Up, Sir!
- You have the beginning of what we call a nasal-labial crease. - CNN Transcript Nov 9, 2003
- The following passage from Kiplings American Notes, ch. i, will be recalled: Oliver Wendell Holmes says that the Yankee schoolmarm, the cider and the salt codfish of the Eastern states are responsible for what he calls a nasal accent. - Chapter 7. The Standard American Pronunciation. 1. General Characters
- Oliver Wendell Holmes says that the Yankee school-marm, the cider and the salt codfish of the Eastern States, are responsible for what he calls a nasal accent. - American Notes
- The infection has worked its way north of my throat and up into my sinuses (hooray! party in nasal passage two!), and I am completely miserable. - February 12th, 2005