Definition by Wordnik
- (verb-transitive) To cause to decay and have a foul odor. See Synonyms at decay.
- (verb-transitive) To make gangrenous.
- (verb-intransitive) To become decayed and have a foul odor.
- (verb-intransitive) To become gangrenous.
Example by Wordnik
- * Dead bodies quickly putrefy and so become a health hazard to the living. - In the Valley of the Shadow
- Soon enough, a patient may be able to remain on such apparatuses for many months, long after meaningful brain function has ceased, until his skin and tissue begins to putrefy. - Jacob M. Appel: Rational Rationing vs. Irrational Rationing: The Struggle for the Legacy of Ruben Betancourt
- After we die, hate will be the first thing to putrefy within us . . . - The Chosen Peoples
- The carnage of this battle can not be imagined; the heat of mid-summer made the bodies of the dead men and horses putrefy almost immediately. - Children of the Battlefield
- They separate, putrefy, and fail to accomplish their reported claims. - Unclutter Your Life in One Week