Definitions by Wordnik
- (noun) The entire material or physical structure of an organism, especially of a human or animal.
- (noun) The physical part of a person.
- (noun) A corpse or carcass.
- (noun) The trunk or torso of a human or animal.
- (noun) The part of a garment covering the torso.
- (noun) A human; a person.
- (noun) A group of individuals regarded as an entity; a corporation.
- (noun) A number of persons, concepts, or things regarded as a group: We walked out in a body.
- (noun) The main or central part, as:
- (noun) Anatomy The largest or principal part of an organ; corpus.
- (noun) The nave of a church.
- (noun) The content of a book or document exclusive of prefatory matter, codicils, indexes, or appendixes.
- (noun) The passenger- and cargo-carrying part of an aircraft, ship, or other vehicle.
- (noun) Music The sound box of an instrument.
- (noun) A mass of matter that is distinct from other masses: a body of water; a celestial body.
- (noun) A collection or quantity, as of material or information: the body of evidence.
- (noun) Consistency of substance, as in paint, textiles, or wine: a sauce with body.
- (noun) Printing The part of a block of type underlying the impression surface.
- (verb-transitive) To furnish with a body.
- (verb-transitive) To give shape to. Usually used with forth: "Imagination bodies forth the forms of things unknown” ( Shakespeare).
Examples by Wordnik
- I'm yet to discover a way to convert a top to a body outfit/part, which would address the above problem partially, despite a few token efforts at file renaming (the .bmps exported are preceded with top~ or body~) and hex editing (the .package file refers to the file names it expects to find for the .bmps). - Galactic North
- Through transubstantiation, the bread and wine consumed by worshipers become the body and blood of Jesus when a priest, acting on Jesus behalf, speaks the words This is my body and This is my blood over them. - transubstantiation
- Nonverbal communication includes gestures, facial expressions, and body positions (known collectively as body language), as well as unspoken understandings and presuppositions, and cultural and environmental conditions that may affect any encounter between people. - nonverbal communication
- Thus ash has two main uses in the body: (a) it aids in building the body; and (b) it aids in regulating body processes. - School and Home Cooking
- The real and practical alliance between the physical and the psychic -- between body and mind -- is better realized; as for instance: You may be seized with an idea, or a passion, and it disturbs your health of body; you may take indigestible food, or suffer injury or fatigue, and it disturbs your health of mind. - Valere Aude Dare to Be Healthy, Or, The Light of Physical Regeneration